News Early morning fire inside Lowery's

Early morning fire inside Lowery's

Early morning fire inside Lowery's

At 3:21 the TEVFD was alerted to the historic Lowery's restaurant on Church Ln and Earl St today for audible smoke alarm. Engine 1 arrived on scene and advised smoke was visible from the rear of the building and requested additional staffing. Senior Firefighter Stephen Richardson assumed command and sent crews inside to locate the fire. The fire was found in the basement area which also housed the entire electrical service to building. Dominion Power was notified of the incident and a request for Richmond County VFD was initiated based on the dangerous nature of basement fires. The County Radio system would not provide coverage in the below grade location, thus creating a more serious condition of the inability to communicate with the crews inside. A switch to a direct (non repeated) channel allowed Firefighter Richardson to talk to the crews, but they could not be monitored by the dispatcher just a few blocks away. The fire was located inside of a dryer that was used after the business closed to clean the aprons and cleaning cloths. Rescue 1 provided back up to the first arriving engine, and the request for assistance from Warsaw was cancelled. The fire was extinguished and the dryer was removed to allow a more effective ventilation effort. This is not the first fire that Lowery's has experienced in their time of business in Tappahannock since 1938, however minimal damages were sustained. Owner/Operator Duby Lowery is also a life member of the TEVFD and was on scene with us. Firefighter Richardson remained in command of the incident and directed all actions until the hazards were mitigated. Thank You to the citizens for continuing to allow our volunteer department to serve and protect you. Please remember to properly clean your dryers after each use and inspect your exhaust vents for flow.

Dispatch Audio

Recent Posts Categories Search